Friday, February 20, 2009

Building #1.


Here's a good place to start.  I built this in 2004 just as I started to acquire a few more American Plastic Bricks sets on Ebay to add to my childhood collection.  This building started out as the "American Village Municipal Building" illustrated on page 13 of the "How to Build with American Plastic Bricks" instruction booklet:


but I still had bricks left over when it was finished so I 'extruded' (a bad word in the real world of architecture today) the building and it turned into this:


Note the construction detail below that allowed for a wider band of casement windows with no interruption for supporting walls:


The evolution of this building from the one illustrated in the instruction booklet to the one pictured here happened in several stages. I'd describe those stages as a process of both evolution and accretion.  More about that later. 

1 comment:

  1. Very cool buildings, Ken! I had an APB binge last year...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/27742455@N06/sets/72157606016339833/

    ReplyDelete